Monday, April 28, 2014

Ink making experiment continues by Gloria Poole of Missouri and Georgia

I, Gloria Poole of Missouri and Georgia, , am adding here three pages of documentation of my experiment to create ink from common, ordinary household items so that anybody anywhere in any country could have a way to write or draw. I wrote my notes using the ink I have created and writing on ink jet paper [which usually accepts ink just fine] and trying to make it visible in a photograph. I signed these notes and I photographed and uploaded them. My maternal grandmother would have said "the proof is in the pudding" as to if something worked? So, the first photo is day 7 of experiment I began last week and documented in previous post also. This post is continuation of that post and continuation of my experiment to produce a good enough ink to write and draw with using ordinary always on hand stuff. Notes are self-explanatory. Read in sequence. The middle photograph is pg 2 of day 7 documentation. As always, anything I write, draw, paint, sketch, photograph and sign is copyrighted content under copyright laws of United States and other countries also. See my copyright notice and full disclosure statement on my about me page on this blog. Day 7 of ink making experiment hand-written notes of mine using ink I made with this process:

Day 7 page 2 experiment to add corn starch to formula to thicken ink so it will adhere to a dip pen:

Day 8, to test ink with corn starch and more paprika after it set all evening and all night:

Summary of results so far:

Ink is usuable, doesn't smell like Isopropyl alcohol but very much smells like pepper [paprika] but didn't make me sneeze; works with dip pen after addition of corn starch solution made with one tablespoon corn starch in about 1/4 cup water, then adding 2 tbsps of that to the ink. A dip pen nib for drawing is what I wrote these notes with and dipped in the ink. I think this is a serviceable ink that poor people in almost any country of the world would be able to make at home [which is my goal and for me to have a more reddish brown sepia ink to draw with also to recreate the look of the "old Masters" artist who drew sketches in the ink they made themselves. I do not know how they made ink. I started with idea to make it and no idea how to make it and try several methods but reasoned that tea leaves are common everywhere in world [either grown there or can be bought at any vendor that sells food] so would not create hardship to anybody to have ink. I put the ink in a washed [used-up] jelly jar with tight fitting cap and rubber-seal inside cap. I printed the first page of this with a script brush and then used a dip pen. You should be able to tell where I started using the dip pen [a metal nib on pen holder]. Also, I made two ink spots and labeled one "control" and did not add water to that one. To the ink spot on the right, I saturated a paint brush with cold water, and "swabbed" over the ink several times after it had dried. You can see the water stain but the original scribbled back forth of my ink blot on the bottom right of page 8 did not disappear.

Anyone should be able to reproduce this experiment but I intend to own the patent. Gloria Poole; at my apartment in Missouri which is not shared with anyone; 28-April-2014 at 12:46pm

Happy Easter #sketch by #Gloria and see Republic MO photos-by-gloriapoole

#Watercolor #sketch drawn and painted by me Gloria Poole,Registered Nurse, artist of Republic Missouri and I signed it and put the date and...